Snowball is my stuffed
animal cat from my grandmother that I have had since I was three years old. Her
fur is white and lost its fluffiness years ago from going through the wash too
many times. She has some patches where her hair is worn down and most of her
stuffing has made its way down to the lower half of her body, giving her a pear
shape. Her black glass eyes are blank yet endearing and have seen more than
most toys her age. She has lived in Germany, Iowa, and Ohio and has seen the
calm tulips of the Netherlands to the busy streets of Chicago. She’s been on a
plane and through airport security more times than she can count but refuses to
eat airplane food unless it’s sweet. She doesn't care for green beans but ate
them anyways when I, as a little girl, didn't want to eat mine. She’s been to
plenty of slumber parties and has had her fair share of trick or treating. She
waited at the hospital when I got my tonsils removed in the first grade and she
stays close to me, even when I’m sick. She has patiently listened to me yell
and cry about things that are insignificant now. She has been there to wipe my
eyes or to be used as a pillow. She tells me I’m smart when I struggle in math
and she knows I’m a hard worker. She reminds
me too take a deep breath and take a break sometimes. She’s wise beyond her
years and, although her expression never changes and she cannot speak, she has
her own language that only I can understand.
Snowball and I have
gone on many adventures through the years and there are still more to come.
Although I am becoming more independent and Snowball does not come with me
everywhere, she is always waiting for me on my bed when I get home to tell her
about my latest journey. I have not grown out of Snowball and I don’t think I
ever really will, but our relationship has evolved. We have both grown. She’s still my sense of comfort and security
but in a different way. I don’t need to bring her with me to the store and she
stays at home on most days, but I still rely on her. She’s still available for a hug at any time
and she still goes on airplanes with me. She helps me with my new challenges in
life and will be there sitting in my dorm room, waiting for me when I get back
from my first day of college. Even now, she is always up for a new adventure
and will silently guide me through my obstacles in life. Though we are both
older, I know I will forever be that little girl who loves her stuffed animal
cat, Snowball.
No comments:
Post a Comment